Nigeria has again escaped FIFA’s hammer, as the body suspends its earlier plan to ban the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) from all footballing activities after Amaju Pinnick’s confirmation.
The world football governing body said this, after it received a confirmation from Federal Government of Nigeria affirming Amaju Pinnick as the rightful and dully elected President of the NFF.
In a statement released on Monday reads:
“We received confirmations from Nigeria that the legitimate leadership of the NFF under President Amaju Melvin Pinnick and General Secretary Mohammed Sanusi has been given back effective control of the NFF and its offices.
“In view of these circumstances, FIFA deems that the conditions set by the decision of the Bureau of the FIFA Council have now been met and consequently the suspension of the NFF will not take effect,” the statement said.
They also confirmed that it would continue to closely monitor the situation in Nigeria in order to ensure that FIFA’s rules and regulations are fully adhered to.
FIFA had on Aug. 14 threatened to suspend Nigeria if its offices are not handed over back to the rightful executives which is the Amaju Pinnick-led executive by 12:00 (CET) on Monday.
The Glass House had been occupied recently at different times by both the Chris Giwa and Pinnick factions of the federation’s Congress.
This occupation has, however, been with the aid of men of the Nigeria Police and the Department of State Services at such times.
The Government also had earlier released a statement recognising the Amaju Pinnick led executive, saying that they will work closely with all parties to avert future crisis. The Statement reads:
“The FG has already conveyed to FIFA its firm position recognizing Amaju Pinnick-led NFF as the current & only NFF Exco. Govt will also continue to work with all relevant stakeholders involved to resolve a dispute in a timely manner. FG is upholding NFF treaty obligations to FIFA”