0 C
Lagos, NG
27th September 2022
WORLD NEWS

Officer Derek Chauvin: Prosecutors Want 25 Years Sentence

Officer Derek Chauvin: Prosecutors Want 25 Years Sentence
Officer Derek Chauvin: Prosecutors Want 25 Years Sentence

Federal prosecutors asked a federal judge in the District of Minnesota on Wednesday to sentence former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin to 25 years in prison for violating George Floyd’s civil rights, CNN reports.

According to the report, officer Derek Chauvin pleaded guilty in December to depriving Floyd of his civil rights when the former officer kneeled on Floyd’s back and neck for over nine minutes on May 25, 2020. As part of the plea agreement, Chauvin faced a sentence between 20 and 25 years. He could have faced up to life in prison if he had been convicted of the federal charges.

Prosecutors told the court in December they would be requesting a sentence of 25 years to be served concurrently with his 22-and-a-half year sentence on state murder charges.

The US Attorney’s Office called the sentencing request “reasonable and appropriate” given Chauvin’s offences.

“A 300-month sentence appropriately captures the seriousness of the defendant’s abuses and the lasting harms that he has inflicted on his victims, their families, and the larger community,” prosecutors said.

Prosecutors asked the 25-year sentence be followed by five years of supervised release.

The sentencing recommendation comes over two years after the former officer held his knee on Floyd’s neck and back for 9 minutes and 29 seconds while the 46-year-old Black man, handcuffed and lying prone in the street, gasped for air and told officer Derek Chauvin and other officers, “I can’t breathe.”

Floyd’s death on the Minneapolis pavement sparked protests nationwide against police brutality and racial injustice.

In April 2021, Chauvin was convicted of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter for Floyd’s death and was sentenced to 22-and-a-half years in state prison.

Chauvin also pleaded guilty in December to a separate federal case in which he was accused of depriving the rights of a 14-year-old in Minneapolis in 2017 for allegedly kneeling on the back and neck of the handcuffed, non-resisting teenager.

The federal judge presiding over the case accepted Chauvin’s plea deal last month. A sentencing date has not been set.
Calls to attorneys representing Chauvin were not immediately returned Thursday morning, CNN report added.

Related posts

How a 32-year-old woman repeatedly raped a five-year-old boy-police

yellowdanfo

Colin Kaepernick slams Travis Scott for Super Bowl deal

yellowdanfo

LeBron James Mourns NBA Legend Kobe Bryant

yellowdanfo

Justin Bieber’s Justice World Tour Postponed Due To COVID

yellowdanfo

PHOTO: CBN announces truce with MTN Nigeria

yellowdanfo

PHOTO: Wizkid’s Star-boy Jersey sold out in 10minutes!

yellowdanfo

Hillary Clinton Tests Positive For COVID-19

yellowdanfo

PHOTO: Comedian Basket Mouth meets with Mike Tyson

yellowdanfo

Chromatica Ball: Lady Gaga Postpones Tour Until 2022

yellowdanfo

Prof Pius Adesanmi among those killed in ill-fated Ethiopian Airlines

yellowdanfo

Leave a Comment