The Government of Zimbabwe have announced a second lockdown to stop COVID-19 spread in the country, as the world battles with the dread virus.
President Emmerson Dambudzo Mnangagwa, on Tuesday 5th Janaury 2021, announced that the Southern African country will be going into a second lockdown to try and stop COVID-19 spread, as the total number of those with the virus nears 16,000, with over 300 deaths recorded so far. Although it is still one of the lowest figures in the world, but the government is clearly not taking any chances, especially now that countries are beginning to record the COVID-19 mutant strain.
The country’s COVID-19 record as of Monday 4th January 2021, was put at 15,265 confirmed cases with 380 deaths, and over 11,000 recoveries.
President Emmerson Dambudzo Mnangagwa, making the announcement to stop the COVID-19 spread, said:
“Zimbabwe is entering a second lockdown to stop the spread of a #COVID19 second wave. Please, for the sake of your family and loved ones, avoid large gatherings and non-essential travel. This is the final push – let’s defeat this virus for good,” he said.