Bauchi State has confirmed a third coronavirus case, as the Deputy Governor of the state, Sen Baba Tela confirmed this on Tuesday 31 March 2020.
According to the Deputy Governor and Chairman, Task Force Committee on COVID-19 in the State, giving an update on Bauchi State, described the third coronavirus patient as a 55-year-old man and no other information as to his name and how he contracted the virus. But the total number of confirmed cases so far in the State now stands at 3.
The Third coronavirus patient just confirmed by the Bauchi State government could raise the figure by the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control, NCDC to 140, as a few hours ago when the total number of confirmed cases for Nigeria was updated, it was put at 139, with Bauchi State having just 2 confirmed cases.
The NCDC had reported that four new cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed, bringing the total confirmed cases so far in Nigeria as at Tuesday 31st March 2020 jumps to 139.
According to the update by the NCDC, the new confirmed cases on Tuesday were 3 in the FCT and 1 in Lagos. This update was given by the NCDC at 08:00 pm, 31st of March; bringing the total confirmed cases in Nigeria to 139.
The breakdown from the NCDC total confirmed cases of the COVID-19 virus, shows that out of the total 139 cases, Nine have been discharged with two deaths recorded so far.
The breakdown currently is:
One of the three confirmed cases so far in Bauchi State, is that of the State Governor, Governor Bala Mohammed who tested positive to the coronavirus on the 24th March 2020, as announced by the Governor’s Senior Special Assistant on Media, Mukhtar Gidado.
The Governor was said to have gone for the test, just a day after his recent contact, Mohammed Atiku Abubakar who is the son of former Vice President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar tested positive for the coronavirus.
Gov Bala Mohammed in a statement released on Monday 23rd March 2020, by Mukhtar Gidado, had said:
“I have taken immediate precaution by self-isolating myself. My entourage is also strictly complying with the same isolation measures, pending the results of our tests,” he said.
Stating further, Bala Mohammed said his move to self-isolate comes after the report from the Nigeria Centre For Disease Control (NCDC) that the son of the former Vice President of Nigeria Mohammed Atiku Abubakar has tested positive to the coronavirus upon his return from an international trip through Lagos.
Gov Bala Mohammed was reported to have recently returned from an official trip in Lagos, where met with Mohammed Atiku Abubakar in the Aero Contractor aircraft and shook hands after exchanging pleasantries.
“So far, the Governor did not exhibit any symptom of the disease but based on the recommendation of the NCDC, he will remain in isolation in order to avoid the risk of spread of the disease.
Currently, the blood sample of the Governor has been taken and is undergoing a clinical test. For the period of the clinical testing, the Governor and his entourage will remain in isolation pending the outcome of the clinical result.
Consequently, therefore, the Governor has cancelled all his appointments with immediate effect and nay inconveniences coursed are highly regretted,” the statement said.
The figures in a few minutes or hours will be updated, but for now, we will have to go with the figures published by the NCDC, which is 139, until they say otherwise….more update coming…