Angels Skaggs died from a deadly mix of drugs and alcohol in his system, this was according to authorities in Texas where the young pitcher tragically died earlier this year.
The Tarrant County Medical Examiner released the cause Friday, saying the official cause was due to ethanol, fentanyl and oxycodone, along with “terminal aspiration of gastric contents.”
The newly married Angels Skaggs was discovered unconscious in his hotel room Monday evening, July 21 in Southlake, Texas. He was just 27 years old.
Angels Skaggs was due to play in a game that night against the Texas Rangers before the news of his tragic death.
Skaggs had just played two days earlier for the Angels, pitching four innings and striking out five players.
Tyler Skaggs’ family reacting to the latest news about their late son, released a statement on Friday where they confirmed this sad news. The statement reads:
“We are heartbroken to learn that the passing of our beloved Tyler was the result of a combination of dangerous drugs and alcohol. That is completely out of character for someone who worked so hard to become a Major League baseball player and had a very promising future in the game he loved so much.
“We are grateful for the work of the detectives in the Southlake Police Department and their ongoing investigation into the circumstances surrounding Tyler’s death. We were shocked to learn that it may involve an employee of the Los Angeles Angels. We will not rest until we learn the truth about how Tyler came into possession of these narcotics, including who supplied them. To that end, we have hired Texas attorney Rusty Hardin to assist us.”