The Nigerian Senate on Wednesday, 23rd January 2019 passed the Conference Committee Report of the National Transport Commission NTC Bill, 2019 (S.B. 242).
Speaking on the passage of the Bill, Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, thanked Senator Gbenga Ashafa, the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Transport for the work on the Bill.
Here are a few benefits of the NTC Bill:
The NTC Bill establishes the National Transport Commission (NTC) a single-sector regulator in line with global best practices to carry out economic regulation and safety oversight across the different transport sector.
• The NTC will operate as an independent regulator to promote intermodalism (different modes of conveyance) in our transport sector. It will further the linkage between the different modes of transportation (Ports, Aviation, Roads, Railway, Marine, etc.);
• The NTC Bill creates an enabling environment for private sector participation in the provision of services in the transport sector;
• The NTC Bill will ensure private sector participation in the provision of transport services. This will effectively close the infrastructural gap in the sector.
• The NTC Bill will facilitate effective competition and promote a transparent and competitive market that is free of unfair business practices as well as ensure that the misuse of monopolies or dominant positions are prevented;
• The NTC Bill will ensure that users of transport services are protected and that there is quality service in the provision of any transport service in the transport sector.
• The NTC will monitor compliance of government agencies and transport operators in the transport sector with relevant legislation;
• The NTC will monitor the quality of services rendered to userS and the tariff rates and charges paid by transport service users;
• The NTC will will ensure that users have equitable access to transport facilities, services, channels and routes while having regard to the level of competition and efficiency within a regulated transport industry;
• The NTC will ensures that decisions made by transport sector regulators take into consideration relevant health, safety, environmental and social legislation and best practices applicable to a transport industry.