0 C
Lagos, NG
29th February 2020
  • Home
  • SPORTS
  • Hillsborough Disaster: David Duckenfield Found Not Guilty
SPORTS WORLD NEWS

Hillsborough Disaster: David Duckenfield Found Not Guilty

Hillsborough Disaster: David Duckenfield Found Not Guilty
Hillsborough Disaster: David Duckenfield Found Not Guilty (PA)

Hillsborough police match commander David Duckenfield has been found not guilty of gross negligence manslaughter of 95 Liverpool fans who died at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final.

According to the report by Evening Standard, the seven women and three men on the jury at Preston Crown Court returned their verdict on Thursday following a trial which has lasted more than six weeks.

Mr David Duckenfield, 75, the retired chief superintendent denied the gross negligence manslaughter of 95 Liverpool supporters at the FA Cup semi-final on April 15 1989.

The prosecution in the case alleged Mr David Duckenfield, 75, had a “personal responsibility” for what happened at the match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest on April 15 1989, where 96 men, women and children, were fatally injured in a crush on the Leppings Lane terrace.

Under the law at the time he was not charged over the death of the 96th victim Tony Bland, because he died more than a year and a day after the disaster.

The victims’ families fought for 21 years against a 1991 inquest verdict of accidental death, finally seeing it quashed in 2012.

In April 2016, the jury at the new inquests determined that the 96 people were unlawfully killed by the gross negligence manslaughter of Mr Duckenfield to a criminal standard of proof.

Mr Duckenfield stood trial earlier this year but the jury was discharged after failing to reach a verdict and a retrial was ordered.

On Thursday, the jury took 13 hours and 43 minutes to return a not guilty verdict.

Mr Duckenfield sat impassively in front of the dock with his hands clasped and then drank from a glass of water as the verdict came in.

Mr Justice Openshaw discharged the jury and expressed his “thanks and admiration” for the part they had played in the administration of justice.

One of the female jurors walked out in tears as the jury filed out of the courtroom.

Gasps were heard from the public gallery as the foreman returned the verdict.

About 45 family members watched the verdict from the Cunard building in Liverpool, where the trial was screened.

There were shouts in the room as the verdict was announced.

One family member shouted: “Stitched up again.”

Barry Devonside, whose son Christopher, 18, died in the disaster, told the PA news agency: “I’m shocked and stunned by the verdict of the jury.

“We, the families, have fought for 30 years valiantly.”​

The court heard the chief superintendent ordered the opening of exit gates at the Leppings Lane end of the ground at 2.52 pm, eight minutes before kick-off, after the area outside the turnstiles became dangerously overcrowded.

More than 2,000 fans entered through exit gate C once it was opened and many headed for the tunnel ahead of them, which led to the central pens where the crush happened.

Mr Duckenfield did not give evidence in the trial as the court heard he was suffering from the post-traumatic stress disorder.

Judge Sir Peter Openshaw also told jurors the condition could explain Mr Duckenfield’s lack of reaction as he sat in the well of the court throughout the trial.

He said: “He has a resilient, passive and expressionless external presentation which gives no indication of his state of mind so don’t draw an adverse inference against him.”

The court was played audio of the retired chief superintendent giving evidence to inquests in 2015.

At the hearings he accepted he should have taken steps to close the tunnel to the central pens after ordering the opening of the exit gate.

Benjamin Myers QC, defending Mr Duckenfield, told the jury he had been a “target of blame” for the disaster.

He told the court: “We say David Duckenfield did do what he was expected to do as match commander. He didn’t breach his duty, he did what he was expected to do in difficult circumstances.”

Summing up the case, the judge said: “The deaths of 96 spectators, many of whom were very young, is, of course, a profound human tragedy attended by much anguish and anger which for many has not passed with time.

“But, as both counsel have advised you and I will now direct you, as you go about your duty you must put aside your emotions and sympathies, either for the bereaved families or indeed for Mr Duckenfield, and decide the case with a cold, calm and dispassionate review of the evidence that you have heard in court.”

Former Sheffield Wednesday club secretary Graham Mackrell, 69, stood trial alongside Mr Duckenfield in January and was found guilty of a health and safety offence for failing to ensure there were enough turnstiles to prevent unduly large crowds building up outside the ground.

He was fined £6,500 and ordered to pay £5,000, Evening standard had reported.

Related posts

Senator Bernie Sanders Wins New Hampshire Primary

yellowdanfo

French Authorities Confirm Five New Additional Cases Of Coronavirus

yellowdanfo

PHOTO: Lupita Nyongo To Partner Comedian, Trevor Noah On A New Film ‘Born A Crime’

yellowdanfo

Justin Bieber and Hailey celebrated Thanksgiving as a married couple

yellowdanfo

World Cup: See All The Round Of 16 Match-Up

yellowdanfo

Frank Lucas American Gangster, drug kingpin dies at 88

yellowdanfo

Carabao Cup: Liverpool beats Arsenal 5-4 on Penalties to advance

yellowdanfo

California shooting: Suspect identified as 28-year old Ian David Long

yellowdanfo

PHOTO: Kourtney Kardashian Stuns In New Photo Shoot From Japan

yellowdanfo

PHOTO: NBA Star Stephen Curry And Wife Ayesha Welcome First Son Cannon

yellowdanfo

Leave a Comment

Login

X

Register